Protection of Personal Information (POPI)
After a seven year wait President Ramaphosa has announced that 01 July 2020 is D-Day for the commencement of the POPI Act. Businesses will have a grace period of 12 months in which to ensure they are compliant with the various parameters of the Act. A forerunner of a new generation of legislation for South Africa, the Protection of Personal Information Act No. of 2013 was originally anticipated for April this year.
The South African Constitution provides that everyone has the right to privacy, which the POPI Act gives effect to, safeguarding personal information while balancing the right to privacy against other rights such as the right of access to information and the free flow of information. Entities that process personal information will need to do so in a lawful manner, ensuring the safety of the information they have access to, protecting individuals from data breaches and information theft. The risk of non- compliance is both criminal and punitive.
This course will cover :
- Overview of the POPI Act
- Developing a compliance framework to address the obligations of the POPI Act
- The impact of the POPI Act on the Human Resources department
- The impact of the POPI Act on Finance, Operations and Administration
- The obligations of Responsible Parties
- The role and responsibilities of Information Officers
- Managing service providers, contractors and 3rd parties
- How to perform assessments of compliance with the POPI Act
- How to implement the technical and organisational measures required by POPIA
- Safeguards to protect personal information
- How to implement a compliance framework for POPIA
- The measures and standards required for the lawful processing of personal information
Meeting the standards required for compliance by the Information Regulator
Our Training Courses & Webinars
Learn Business Skills that will improve your leadership and productivity. Develop valuable skills with a short online business management course, an in-depth management training program.
Discipline in the
Charging and Initiating
Personal Information (POPI)